Carpeting can be a great addition to your home. It adds style, comfort and warmth—but it can also attract dirt and show stains which can be tricky to be remove. Whether it’s muddy paws, mucky hands, or simply a build-up of everyday dust and dirt that’s got your carpet looking tired, this handy guide will help you get your carpet fresh as a daisy (and keep it that way).
Carpet shampoo is popular choice, it’s worth bearing in mind though that shampoos can take hours to dry, leaving the room off-limits until ready.
1. There are many different brands of carpet shampoo, so it’s important to follow the guidance on the label, make up the solution as directed on the packaging. In many cases, the product will need to be diluted with water.
2. Cover the whole stained area with the shampoo.
3. Don't over-saturate your carpet, the last thing you want to do is increase drying time by making the carpet too wet or wasting product.
4. If you have extra-tough stains, give them a good scrub with a hard-bristled brush or an old toothbrush.
5. Let the carpet dry completely.
6. Vacuum the shampoo once it’s dried.
Using baking soda or powder carpet cleaner
Powder carpet cleaners are the easiest way to refresh your carpet. Just follow these steps...
Vacuum the carpet - make sure there’s no loose dirt or debris on the carpet by giving it a thorough going over with the vacuum cleaner.
Treat any stubborn stains (if needed) - If you’ve got some obvious stains on the carpet, it’s a good idea to treat these first in isolation before tackling the whole carpet. You’ll need that washing up liquid and white vinegar.
Sprinkle on the powder - Once the carpet is dry following any stain treatments, take the power of your choice – either powdered carpet cleaner or baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) – and sprinkle it liberally over the carpet.
Leave the powder to work its magic - Leave the powder for at least 30 minutes – but if you can leave it overnight, all the better as this gives the cleaner time to work, softening stains and consuming odours.
Vacuum up the powder - It really couldn’t be simpler. Just use your vacuum cleaner to suck up all the powder, leaving your carpet clean and fresh.